Thursday, February 09, 2006

Somebody scuffed my crystal ball...

Back in December, I made my list of predictions as to who would win various Grammy awards in the 2 genres of music I actually care a little about. While I like Jazz, I know nothing about it. As far as country, hip-hop and R&B, I could give a rats butt. So, Pop and Rock it was.

And HOLY CRAP was I off my game…

Let’s see how I did.

Record of the Year: I predicted Kanye, I wanted Gwen. Green Day won it and I’m actually quite disappointed in that. It’s a horrible song by a horrible band.

As a big fan of The Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Iggy Pop, and other 70s and 80s Punk, someone thought I’d really get into Green Day when they came out in the early 90s. “It’s a Punk Revival, dude!”. The first song I heard by them opened with the line “Do you have the time/to listen to me whine?”

Uh…no. Turned them off and they’ve never redeemed themselves in my eyes.

Album of the Year: I predicted McCartney, I wanted U2. U2 won it.

Song of the Year: I predicted Springsteen, wanted U2. U2 got it.

New Artist: Had no prediction, nor a favorite. John Legend won it…which is fine. He’s pretty decent. Now we’ll see how he fares. Best New Artist winners either become the biggest names in music (i.e. Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilerra) or they vanish into obsurity (Paula Cole, Marc Cohn). There’s little middle ground.

Female Pop Vocal Performance: I predicted Crowe, wanted Clarkson. Clarkson won.

Male Pop Vocal Performance: Predicted Stevie Wonder, had no favorite in the category Stevie won.

Pop Performance by a Duo or Group With Vocal: Predicted Black-Eyed Peas, wanted The Killers. The award went to Maroon 5.

Maroon 5? Ugh…

I don’t get the Maroon 5 thing. Their music is pap and their lead singer sounds like he’s doing a bad imitation of Jay Kay from Jamiroquai.

Pop Vocal Album: Predicted Crow, wanted Clarkson. Clarkson won.

I’m very happy about being wrong on this award. I really like Kelly Clarkson and really can’t stand Sheryl Crow. Crow got shut out by an American Idol. HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Actually, the American Idol comment is a little unfair. Kelly Clarkson has definitely broken out of the “A.I.” mold. For a “pop/rock” tune, “Since U Been Gone” had some pretty serious…uh…guts and shows that she has a range way beyond the vocal gymnastics crap that she won A.I. with. Good for her.

Solo Rock Vocal Performance: Predicted Clapton…wanted none of them because none of the nominees should have been up for the category.

Springsteen won. My previous argument stands. All horrible choices.

Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal: Predicted Coldplay, wanted U2. U2 won again.

Hard Rock Performance: Predicted Robert Plant using the “Which of these things is not like the other” theory, wanted System of a Down. SOD won. Metal Performance: Predicted and wanted Ministry for nostalgia reasons (they still rock but they’re OLD). Slipknot won it. Good (and appropriate) choice.

Rock Song: Predicted Foo Fighters or Weezer. Wanted U2. U2 wins.

Rock Album: Predicted the Stones. Wanted none of them because there were 547 better rock albums released than the ones nominated. U2 won again. I can handle that.

So, as far as my predictions go, I was 1 for 13 and I was 7 for 13 on who I wanted to win. I’ll never make it as a handicapper.

A couple brief notes:

I hate to admit it, but I like the song Madonna opened the show with.

Gwen Stefani is even cuter pregnant.

When McCartney took the stage, I remarked to the wife how sad it was that one-half of the one of the greatest songwriting duos in rock history was putting out crap like his newest offering. Then he followed it up with “Helter Skelter” and my sadness disappeared.

I wish I’d not fallen asleep before the Sly and the Family Stone tribute and I’m really disappointed I missed McCartney joining Linkin Park and Jay-Z singing “Yesterday”.

Finally, even though I disagree with some of the awards they were nominated for, I'm glad that U2 is still proving to be relevent 20+ years later. They are truly one of those bands who started off great and keeps getting better with age.

That is all of my Larry King style commentary for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home