Monday, January 30, 2006

A brief statement on the filibuster

I’ve managed to avoid politics for a whopping two days but feel the need to briefly stick my toe in the water.

The vote for cloture on the Alito comes in a little over a half hour. Many Democrats (and possibly one Republican) have said that they will oppose cloture (as referenced in my Friday post). If 41 Senators manage to vote against cloture, a filibuster will be born.

Just to be clear…despite the fact that many claim the fact that the filibuster is a precious rule, full of nobility and is essential to our democratic way of life, it just isn’t. A filibuster is a process which allows a minority to subvert the will of the majority. In the case of the Alito debate, it not only subverts the will of the majority of the Senate, it subverts the will of the American public which, based on polls released over the past couple weeks, approve of Alito being confirmed by a ratio of 2-1. The filibuster is not a precious, noble rule. It is, by definition, undemocratic.

That said, bring it on. If the Democrats want to further alienate the centrists out there by proving they’re completely beholden to the far-left-tinfoil-hat-wearing moonbats, who am I to stop them? This is an election year, guys. People have short memories, but not that short.

I know that Republicans have used the filibuster as well. I still don’t like it. As far as I’m concerned, the nuclear option is completely justified.

I also know that, one of these days there will be a Supreme Court nominee who will be somewhere to the left of Cindy Sheehan (and not as bright) and the Senate will have a Democrat majority. Will I eat my words when there’s no way to filibuster that idiot? Probably…but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

OK, back to work I go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home